Did you know that medical care only makes up about 10% to 20% of your overall health? The other 80% to 90% is shaped by your daily habits, what you eat, where you live, the resources you have access to, and many other factors that go beyond what we usually consider when we think about health care. These factors are often referred to as the social determinants of health.
As a health care company, EmblemHealth’s mission is to create healthier futures for our members and for our communities. We help people get quality, affordable coverage and access to the care they need, but we also understand that our thoughts and actions need to go beyond the basics.
We believe that our health can be improved by the food we eat and the company we keep, including our family, pets, and community. We also understand how gender and identity can shape our physical and mental health well-being. That’s why EmblemHealth is broadening our approach to health care by offering free community spaces and supporting mental health, access to healthy food options, and much more. And, we’re supporting other local non-profits that are making a difference.
At its core, health care is made up of the things that matter to all of us. Join us in making a difference together.